heart stopper

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 06 Jan 2001 12:17:18 -0600

Hi gang,

About five years ago, over a six month period, I made three trips out of
town trying to find a buzz in a new Yamaha grand (C-3, I think). No luck.
Yamaha had someone else come in from farther away, and he didn't have any
luck either because the noise quit just before he arrived - naturally. I
finally found it by having her call me when it was buzzing, and not
touching ANYTHING until I could get there. I tried to sneak up on it
cautiously, playing notes in the critical range, and finally found it by
thumping on the bent side with my fist. The lid locator pin was exactly
centered and buzzing in the hole in the bottom bracket. The noise would
come and go as everything moved a couple of thousandths of an inch with
temperature and humidity swings, so it was never buzzing for long at any
time. I mislocated the bracket a bit, so the pin positively rode the side
of the hole, and saved the day, if not my sanity.

> I also got a factory grand hammer spacing tool that
>was left in a new grand. It was laying behind the stretcher, buzzing from
>bass notes. This piano had a removable stretcher.

Besides the usual mutes and stuff, I found a stringing crank in the bottom
of a vertical.

Ron N