rib glueing

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 18:33:27 -0500

It sounds like you're already pretty familiar with what you're planning to
do.  You seem to know the basic ideas of how the individual 'rib clamps' of
a soundboard press are constructed.  If space is at a minimum, and you don't
have room for a full blown press, make a couple of the rib clamps and leave
it at that.  It is possible to do the clamping process in stages, gluing up
one or two or three or four ribs at a time, depending upon how many clamps
you make.

I'm sure there are other possibilities for rib clamp construction as well,
using bending rails or springs or ??who knows what to accomplish the task,
variations on a theme, if you will.

I am wondering if there are reasons why you have decided to go with a
compression crowned board.  I would have to respectfully disagree with that
decision in light of many of the conversations I've had with some very
knowledgeable soundboard builders.  (You might get an "eyeful" if you look
up some of the discussions on soundboards in the archives, especially paying
attention to posts by Del Fandrich and Ron Nossaman.)  Yes, that may be the
way certain "pianos of note" were and even today are built.  But I think
most of the modern rebuilders would take issue with compression crowning
being a better method.

Just something to ponder a bit.  No ill will intended.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net