Shimming - was: Was it something I said?

Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:03:43 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> OK, a theoretical problem. If the new "stronger" shim causes the adjacent
> "damaged/crushed/old" soundboard wood to develope cracks along the new shim,
> wouldn't epoxy do the same thing? Certainly the epoxy isn't going to squish
> much. Or do you somehow let thin epoxy soak into the adjacent old board
> material and then put a thickened mixture into the crack. Also, when doing
> an epoxy "shim", is there any reason to rout out the crack? Or do you just
> fill it as is?

I certainly cant give you the technical reasons.. but as I understand it the
expoxy soaks in to the wood to some degree. Also as Del was getting into its a
purely chemical reaction... with no (or almost no) curing related to gases
evaporating out of the glue.  In anycase I have yet to see an epoxy "shim" fail.

As far as routing out... this mostly a cosmetic thing... so whatever looks best
to you.  I have seen fellows who combine the two proceedures actually, tho I
dont know what the success /failure picture is on that. I personally scrape out
with a standard "V" tool just enough to allow for a line of epoxy to run into.
If the crack is already wide enough, then I just tape and glue.

My own preference for looks is a dark colour.  I want it to show.... nicely
lacked it gives a neat effect. But I know many who want the repair to
"disapear"... To each their own.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.