newbie questions

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 01:05:11 -0500 (EST)

Thanks to all who have given me tuning tips! Here are some questions:

1) I tried to reduce false beats by seating the strings on the bridge.
However, the bridge on my "PSO" is hard to reach. Part of the treble
bridge is directly behind the keyboard and you can't get to it from below
or from above. Advice? What tools (makeshift or otherwise) do you use to
seat strings on the bridge?

2) I have heard that rust can cause false beats. And I found a little rust
on the strings. I'm having a hard time not just spraying WD40 in there. I
recall hearing someone say a while ago that WD40 should not be in, on, or
near a piano.  That's a shame. And it's also a shame that duct tape has
limited use inside a piano (perhaps it could replace leather on hammers!)
But at least you get to use epoxy in pianos! Anway, what do you use to
clean off rust?

3) For a flat piano, how flat must it be in order for it to need a pitch
raise? I discovered that it's true that if you tune a flat piano up to
pitch, it comes out flat! But I have also discovered that it gets better
and better each tuning.

Charles Neuman
Plainview, NY