newbie questions

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:00:09 -0500

"For a flat piano, how flat must it be in order for it to need a pitch
raise? "

For my few non-concert tunings I do in homes of the common-folk, I charge
extra for pitch raising when the piano is somewhere between 5 & 10 cents
flat. I always (almost) tune with two passes now-a-days, so the small pitch
corrections (2 to 5 cents) come out in the first pass. If the WHOLE keyboard
is within 1 or 2 cents, I will likely do the tuning with only one pass -
depending on the client/piano.

"I discovered that it's true that if you tune a flat piano up to pitch, it
comes out flat! But I have also discovered that it gets better and better
each tuning."

Yup, and it will be right up at A440 after only 27 passes doing it that way
(just kidding ;-). That is why we do pitch raising - to reduce the number of
passes required to bring the piano up to standard pitch (or where ever).

Keep in mind also, that if the pitch varies a bunch over the whole keyboard
you will likely need some pitch "adjustment" - even when the pitch averages
out to A440. For instance - the bass is 20 cents sharp, tenor is 5 cents
flat, treble is 10 cents flat, and hi-treble is at pitch. Or sometimes, when
the piano has not been tuned for 20 years, you will have 10 or 20 cents
difference between adjacent notes (again, these are the pianos of my few
non-concert performing clients). Situations like these call for a "pitch
adjustment" pass to get the piano close to in tune so that you can proceed
to then tune it.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida