Off-Topic: hiring a full-time technician

Bruce Murray piano@stimpy.music.ua.edu
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:26:48 -0600 (CST)

I apologize in advance for posting a non-technical question to the list.
I am director of the School of Music at the University of Alabama.  I
started reading the pianotech list last fall. Although I am a pianist, my
experience with the technical side the instrument is limited.  I have
learned a lot here.

Now our school's full-time technician has retired suddenly because of
health issues.  I am compelled to find a replacement, and I can imagine no
more difficult search.  My counterparts at other music schools won't talk
about their technicians, won't tell me their names, etc.  Of course, I
don't blame them; a fine technician is a fantastic asset to a music
school.

I'm not advertising here.  However, I would appreciate any advice about
places where it would be appropriate and fruitful to advertise.  Also, I
would love to know some of things that we could do (beyond salary) that
would encourage an excellent technician to relocate to Tuscaloosa,
Alabama.  We have a fine school, and quality of life is generally good,
but many persons, I am sure, would prefer to live and work in a more
metropolitan area.

If anyone would be inclined to reply (to me, not to the list, obviously),
I would be grateful.  Thank you all very much.

Regards,

Bruce Murray
Director, School of Music
The University of Alabama