Who needs piano technicians? Duffer?

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 10:28:49 -0500

Although the politically correct and gracious reply to your question would
be to say "of course, not", I do make a distinction between professional
piano technicians and duffers.  Technically speaking, anyone who earns their
living practicing the piano technical arts is a professional.  I think
professional piano technicians owe it to themselves and their clients to
become members of a professional society, like the Piano Technicians Guild,
to not only further their own education, but to add their contributions to
the craft.

I define a duffer as one who charges a fee to "tune" a piano, but may be
clueless as to how to repair or adjust anything; someone who does not earn
their living servicing pianos but "takes care of" a few pianos.

I will also further my foot down my throat and say that I have never met a
non-guild piano technician who did not become a better technician by joining
the PTG.

Carol Beigel, RPT
Greenbelt, Maryland