Weirdos Award

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 00:02:17 -0700

While I was idly surfing for piano-related items off Yahoo this evening I
discovered this gem: The First Annual "Weirdos" Awards
at  http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/rolls/20001229/en/the_year_in_weird_1.html

"The Most Likely to Turn You Into a Vegetable Award: The music of Meat
Loaf, which a study at Britain's Sussex University found to be the single
best aural stimulant to encourage plant growth, followed closely by a
Rachmaninoff piano concerto."  DAVID SPRAGUE (December 30, 2000)
________________________

Before people start recommending that their customers who don't have green
thumbs to rush out and buy "Bat Out of Hell" or start playing more Russian
pieces on their pianos, here's the scoop from yet another site.

For technical reasons I should just link to it but the link may only be
temporary, so here goes. I've interspersed some of my own notes.  From :
http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/uk_news/story/0%2C3604%2C183405%2C00.html

"Greenhouse rock boosts growth rate of plants

Tim Radford, Science Editor
Friday March 17, 2000

Plants grow better when there is music in the greenhouse, according to
scientists at the University of Sussex. [Other studies show the same
phenomenon in the gestation and early growth of human infants as well,
although for possibly different reasons. - jm]

Wallflowers, busy lizzies, carrots and mung beans exposed to Meatloaf's Bat
Out Of Hell for seven days grew measurably faster and stronger than plants
cosseted by Rachmaninov's piano concerto No 2.  [Perhaps it might be an
example of "That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger" - jm]   But Peter
Scott and a student, Ruth Davies, of the university's botany department may
have a disappointment in store for people planning a heavy metal diet for
their petunias.

It may not be the music - it may just be the extra energy cascading from
the speaker units. They used a CD player which played the same music for
seven days on end, and then chose their three experimental records.

Vegetables liked Meatloaf. Bat Out Of Hell increased both germination rate
and root and shoot growth across a wide range of plants. Rachmaninov took
them nowhere.  [I've heard other people say the same thing! - jm]
Unfortunately there is unlikely to be a horticultural hit parade.

Dr Scott, who will present his results to a meeting of experimental
biologists later this month, suspects it is the energy of the sound that
gets the growth going, not the music itself. He thinks the sound boosts
growth by producing heat. "

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
email: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom