Who needs,,,,,,,,,,

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 23:44:29 -0500

"Being hand-made they are all different in some way and like people, some
have more potential than others..."

Yea, like potential for verdigris, Teflon bushings, and collapsed
soundboards.

This sounds like marketing trash to me. I think it would be much more
accurate to say "Some come out good, some are so-so, and some have
problems." Oh, and don't they all have different "personalities"?

Sorry for sounding so crass, but Rolls Royce? But then, actually, the Rolls
analogy works. Buy yourself a new Steinway for the raw chassis. Then you
ship it to your rebuilder to make a piano out of it. However, it would be
much cheaper and better if you just bought an old junk one and had it
rebuilt - then, at least you would get a Steinway plate!

And what's this marketing crud about "If your Steinway is not 100% Steinway
parts, it's not a Steinway." Is that by weight? Or is it by individual
parts? Any rebuilt pre-1950 Steinway with Abel hammers, and Renner action
parts, and Sanderson Strings, Bolduc pinblock, Gravagne  soundboard, custom
bridges, etc. is more Steinway by weight than a new Steinway because they at
least have a Steinway plate!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida