How to go adjusting that fly in the ointment

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 14:34:06 -0800

Richard Brekne wrote:

> btw... as long as I mentioned that spoon... that always kinda bothered me...
> why have a bendable spoon at the same time as a regulatable button ??

Richard,

There's probably a very good reason but, not knowing why, one can always
invent the reason. It's very similar to doing something on your computer
with your choice of a key stroke or a mouse click. So maybe the reason
is that, if you can't find your jack screw regulator (or the shank is
too thick to fit between the letoff dowels or you don't have a jack
screw regulator), you can reach for the spoon bender. Us modern humans
have to have _lots_ of options (and several extra hours in the day to
make all the choices %-P).

> And if that is a good idea why dont all grands have that ?

I don't know if it is a good idea but your question has a familiar ring.
I have a suspicion that the piano manufacturers have patented and
shelved all these great ideas just to infuriate those of us in the field.

As an example and while we're lurking in the letoff buttons, has anyone
ever noticed how the shape of the jack tender causes a similar dent in
the button felt making accurate and speedy regulation difficult without
renewing the felt? And, if that's a bad idea, why do all the grands have
it? (Oh? They have no problem of regulating in the factory? I see.) But
it seems like if they would put the felt on the tender, it would solve
the problem.

> > Any little secrets anyone has up their sleeve? other than a large bottle of
> > 'happy pills'? <grin>

Sorry, Brian, no secrets to share today but I'll see if I can send a
large bottle of 'happy pills' as an attachment. <g>

Looking externally for inner peace,

Tom Cole