Piano Warrenty/False Beats

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:24:45 -0500

Hello List Friends! I have a question regarding warrenties for new pianos. I
have a client that has a 1992 Boston GP-178 grand. It sounded pretty good &
clear a couple years ago when I first tuned it. She has it tuned several
times per year. I have noticed a few false beats over the years. I just
tuned it today and now it has about 10 fairly prominent false beats (no, not
quite like a 1960s Kimball or an old upright - but still bad), and a few
faint ones. These false beats are bad enough that it makes tuning those
strings total guesswork. The notes never sound like they have been tuned.

Press on the top of the bridge pin for the offending string with a brass rod
and walla! false beat gone. Totally gone. One nice clear consistent tone.
The bridge pins are loose. This piano has a 10-year parts and labor
warranty.

It seems like an extreme thing to do for a few false beats, but the only
proper remedy I can think of is to recap the treble bridge - or at least the
offending section (about one-third to one-half the bridge). And even that
won't be like new because of the repaired bridge and the wear and tear on
the pinblock. I believe the warranty should also cover the complete cost for
recapping at a minimum.

What does anyone else think? Thanks

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service