Piano Warrenty/False Beats

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:27:52 -0600

At 11:16 PM 1/14/01 -0600, you wrote:
>>120 watts. Humidistat (regular calibration - turn on & off around 65% RH).
>>No humidifier.
>>
>>The DC system will only help to minimize shrinking & swelling of the bridge
>>& cap. I don't think the DC system caused any problem. I think it is a
>>materials and/or workmanship defect.
>>
>>Terry Farrell

Hi Terry,
             DC systems do a great job of stabalizing the board and rim
structure.  I don't think they make any difference to the bridge and
action.  The moisture is concentrated only at the bottom of the board. We
have installed them on all of our University grands, and gained some
improvement in tuning stability, but no improvement in other areas. Hammers
still go mellow in the spring. Vertical installation is another story, they
are very effective.  In winter I can place a digital humidity gauge on the
beam and read about 35% , place it on the plate and it will bottom out at 10%.
Yes 10%, a steam heated building for a music dept. Now I can not think of a
worst enviroment for musical instruments. Summer time it averages 50-60%
with AC runing. Some spikes of 75% on a rainy day.
The performance pianos have water proof tarps fitted to the floor, there
seems to be a bigger improvement in overall stability. FWIW.
Just my 2c
Tap and CA the pins and move on. I doubt you will get any relief from the mfg.
Roger