S and S K52

Wed, 17 Jan 2001 07:42:59 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: January 17, 2001 5:08 AM
  Subject: Re: S and S K52

  "Epotec 301 epoxy to all the pins.....  After overnight cure, The =
surface seemed a bit tacky..."

  I have not used Epotec yet, but have used West System extensively. I =
would be concerned about any epoxy mixture that did not cure overnight =
(so that it is not tacky). This may indicate an improperly mixed batch =
of epoxy=20

-----

Not necessarily. I'm not familiar with Epotec epoxies, but there are a =
number of coating epoxies that do require 24 hours (sometimes longer in =
cool weather) to fully cure. It is not at all unusual for us to find our =
System Three coating epoxy quite tacky just 12 hours after application.=20

If there is a question with any particular epoxy, check with the =
manufacturer for appropriate curing times. Keeping in mind that the =
normally quoted times generally refer to a partial cure. That is, the =
epoxy has cured enough to work and -- in most cases, at least -- be =
placed in service. With most epoxy systems, full cure does not occur for =
at least 7 to 10 days at room temperatures.

Del=20