SV: ET for Guitar

Ola Andersson pianola@online.no
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:28:45 +0100

I'm a guitar teacher and tune alot guitars.
I'm not a guitarist but I play with some guitar players.
My impression is they don't play 100% ET.
Some plays closer to ET and some play somekind  of "HT"
The traditional American guitar playing is not ET=20
Here I think about Western, Blues and Slide ( I guess you know that)

To do a good tuning on guitar you need new strings and a OK guitar
The cheapest guitar do not have a fretboard that fit with the=20
"white thing the strings go over" and the length of the strings

My musicschool tuning at is meant to be ET (and fast)
I've stolen the idea to this one from Ed Foote and Bill Bremmer
Remember the guitar is tuned one octave lower than notated

I do like this

1 Tune the A string=20
2 Tune the D string a wide fourth to the A so I get a wave that goes out =
of fase
in one second and into fase the next second
3 I tune the G string to the D string a wide fourth so I get it =
beatin/waving 4 times=20
the same time the A-D fourth beats 3 times
4 I tune the low E string to the A string so it beats slower than the A =
and D string but not pure
(it's a hard string to hear it waving so slow)
5 I tune the high E string so it is (kind of) pure to the the A string =
and also pure to the low the E string.
6 I tune the B string so it beats 8bps to the G string. If each second =
is a half note then  G-B would produce sixteen notes
Check with the sixth G-E that will beat about a half beat faster per =
second. I also check the wide fourth B-E=20
to hear if it is sounds OK

Ed Foote suggested that I retuned the B string when I change between E =
major (purer E-H fourth)
and Cmajor (slower G-H third). That goes for G major and A major too I =
guess.
Ed foote not long ago said that the guitar players liked his HT tuning. =
Can you say anything more about that Ed?
I forgot to ask you. What kind of style do they play and are they =
playing in any spesial key?

I guess by letting the forths of the four lower strings beat a little =
faster you would get a temprement ala Bill Bremmer
It would produce a slower G-H third. I left my guitar at work so haven't =
tried it.

Comments please. It's cold here so I would like to get flamed.

Ola Andersson
Bergen, Norway

  ----- Original Message -----=20