SV: harp temp

Ola Andersson pianola@online.no
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 09:46:41 +0100

From: Brian Lawson
> 7. Tuning Temperament
>
> The harp is regulated to play in all keys without re-tuning. The scale is
> equally tempered like that of a piano and is therefore slightly out of tune
> in all keys.
>
> When playing with other instruments if the harp is re-tuned to match chords
> of the untempered scale then the enharmonics (Eb-D, F-Gb etc.) will be of

This must be Eb-D#, F#-Gb(?)

> differing frequencies and the harp will be out of tune in keys other than
> that in which it was tuned. The opinion could be formed that the instrument
> has been ill-regulated which would not be the case.
>
> From: http://www.morleyharps.com/  Harp Mainenance

Not only can a harp be tuned in diffrent keys but also diffrent scales and some chords
like a dimished chord or a whole tone scale that the Harpist can arpeggio over.
To do this some neighbour strings has to have the same note and therefore the same pitch,
like D#-Eb, F#-Gb and B#-C in a C dim chord  C-D#-Eb-F#.Gb-A-B#
or A#-Bb in wholetone scale C-D-E-F#-G#-A#-Bb. Listen to Debussy if you don't know what I mean.

I have not played the harp but I've played around with it some times. I have never tuned it.
If I will I would put the pedals in the middle and tune the "white notes" to an ETD in ET

It would be nice to have a gig like this because when I'm dead and shall pay the debts of my sins
they will notice the line that says Harptuner and Sanct Peter will say you just go in to heaven
there are some harps to pitchraise and rebuild (restore)!
I wonder if there will be falsebeats overthere.

Ola Andersson