Hammer mouldings the Ronsen Hammer

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:00:08 -0800

Hi David
      I have extensive expierience with the Ronsen product and I consider it
an excellent choice for many pianos.  The ALL NEW  RONSEN hammer differs
from other hmmrs. and from whatever problems you may have had with them in
the past you can forget it.  This is a different animal than  some of the
older vareitys. ALSO  they do not employ the use of steam to get the hammers
to the right stiffness( MANY OF YOU WOULD USE THE WORD HARDNESS). But
instead are using dense felt and pressure to achieve the required density .
Indeed some hammers are truly hard.  Ronsen supplies two kinds of felt and
two different moldings .The first one that I generally use is the sapele
Moldings (which as much as a gram lighter than  the birch or maple)  .The
felt I usually use is what they call the German felt and I believe Ray said
it was an Able felt.  This felt happen to  press up stiffer  than the other
felt and is a good choice for many pianos including steinways.  This felt
comes in two weights ,a 14lb. and a 16 lb. felt For steinways I almost
always use the 14llb. felt so that I can get to the original  hmmr. weights
that the stwy action needs for its touch weight needs These hammers really
resemble the size shape and density of the original old stwy hmmr..On B ,s
an D's I use the 16lb.and usually in conjunction with a shank with a 17 mm.
knuckle to center pin spread which carries more weight of course.  The 16 s
are also a bigger taller looking hammer and of course will weigh a bit more
. As many know there can be a substantial weight difference from one set of
wooden moldings to the next  and I consider a gram scale an essential piece
of the  action rebuilding arsenal as I know you do David.The tone of these
hammers are quite good from the get go an none of the initial clanging
sounds (like shattering glass)of hot pressed HARD hmmrs.On stwys I usually
use a light solution of plexiglass and acetone on the bass section,Soaking
the mono choards and then reduce ing volumne and saturation and thickness of
solution as I  head toword the break .In the tenor treble ,up to note 40 two
to four drops of thin mix of same right on the crown increases presence and
break in speed, Hmmmm break in fluid. Some light needle work generally
required from note  40 on up , but the needles go in so easy even in the
bass where juice was applied  you can't tell there has been any solution
applied.
        The other felt is a Bacon felt comp.  product which is a springy
more elastic felt  and similar to steinway factory felt or at least the
source is the same. This felt usually makes a bigger  looking hammer but is
less dense felt and is a good choice for the client looking for a darker
rounder tone .I.E. Baldwin Mason .   This hmmr. requires more juice if you
tring to bring them up far but you can get there.In fairness to the product
I don't have nearly the working time on these as I do the other but still
consider it a choice I'd make for the right reasons. A 14 lb. felt is also
availible and will weigh less but will still have the physical appearance of
being larger than the 14 lb. german felt .It  is important that you
designate a felt choice when ordering (Duh. Dale)  .Ordering from Ronsen is
easy. There service is prompt .You can get any length  molding you wish.They
offer  all the stanard prepping features for reasonable fees and the price
is also attractive.I.E. a seto of saepele 14 lb. delivered un-prepped is
right at $170.00   If pre shapping is not your strong suite have them do it
or at least be prepared to file the bass a little as they are rounder than I
like . It must be the shape of there press.   One last word, there  upright
hammers I consider a labor saving device .  I put them in and they usually
require nothing.( yes we still do work on the occasional upright ,calif.
preserved of course.
Best Dale Erwin         Call if I missed something