New, Improved Baldwins

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 00:23:58 -0600

Hi Ron,
           The drilling of plate hole tolerance is now .004'' Now that the
company has ditched Kelly plates, it is fairly easy to get a good pin block
to plate fit.  At least all the plates are arriving at the same size, and
proceedures can be standardized. The amount of rework and fudge has
dramatically been reduced.
Kelly's quality control is impossible to work with in a production
situation.  This has been on going since Del's time.
The SD's and SF's are leaving the plant very well regulated, other models
need improving, but it's getting there.
I agree about the brightness,  however that's Renner hammers. ( but better
than juiced hammers) They are very workable. The ribs and board are now
radius crown.  Partly because of your input.  Believe it or not the factory
listens, just slow to react.You will also notice the ribs are notched to
the inner rim.
(Depends on Ser#)
Hopefully the company will hire a materials testing tech, to ensure quality
of all raw materials before it gets into a piano.  Glues, polyester, maple
hardness, etc.
Lets hope they continue with the zeal and commitment to QC. It's shown some
big leaps in the last 12 months.
A whole slew of improvement are coming to the Wurlitzers, German hammers,
new action parameters, detail attention to friction, and felt/leather quality.
Glad you are liking the improvements.
Regards Roger