The Littlest (Piano Tuner) Firefighter:OT

PDtek@AOL.COM PDtek@AOL.COM
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:24:22 EST

In a message dated 1/13/01 8:51:47 AM Central Standard Time,
ramsey@extremezone.com writes:

>>The 26-year-old mother stared down at her son who was dying of terminal
leukemia. Although her heart was filled with sadness, she also had a strong
feeling of determination. Like any parent she wanted her son to grow up and
fulfill all his dreams. Now that was no longer possible. The leukemia would
see to that. But she still wanted her son's dreams to come true. She took her
son's hand and asked, "Billy, did you ever think about what you wanted to be
once you grew up. Did you ever dream and wish what you would do with your
life?" "Mommy, I always wanted to be a fireman when I grew up." Mom smiled
back and said, "Let's see if we can make your wish come true."
Later that day she went to her local fire department in Phoenix, Arizona,
where she met Fireman Bob, who had a heart as big as Phoenix. She explained
her son's final wish and asked if it might be possible to give her
six-year-old son a ride around the block on a fire engine. Fireman Bob said,
"Look, we can do better than that. If you'll have your son ready at seven
o'clock Wednesday morning, we'll make him an honorary fireman for the whole
day. He can come down to the fire station, eat with us, go out on all the
fire calls, the whole nine yards! And if you'll give us his sizes, we'll get
a real fire uniform for him, with a real hat-not a toy one-with the emblem of
the Phoenix Fire Department on it, a yellow slicker like we wear and rubber
boots. They're all manufactured right here in Phoenix, so we can get them
fast." Three days later, Fireman Bob picked up Billy, dressed him in his fire
uniform and escorted him from his hospital bed to the waiting hook and ladder
truck. Billy got to sit on the back of the truck and help steer it back to
the fire station. He was in Heaven. There were three fire calls in Phoenix
that day and Billy got to go out on all three calls. He rode in the different
fire engines, the paramedic's van and even the fire chief's car. He was also
video taped for the local news program. Having his dream come true, with all
the love and attention that was lavished upon him, so deeply touched Billy
that he lived three months longer than any doctor thought possible. One night
all of his vital signs began to drop dramatically and the head nurse, who
believed in the Hospice concept that no one should die alone, began to call
the family members to the hospital. Then she remembered the day Billy had
spent as a fireman, so she called the fire chief and asked if it would be
possible to send a fireman in uniform to the hospital to be with Billy as he
made his transition. The chief replied, "We can do better than that We'll be
there in five minutes. Will you please do me a favor? When you hear the
sirens screaming and see the lights flashing, will you announce over the PA
system that there is not a fire? It's just the fire department coming to see
one of it's finest members one more time. And will you open the window to his
room?.....Thanks." About five minutes later, a hook an ladder truck arrived
at the hospital, extended its ladder up to Billy's third floor open window
and 16 firefighters climbed up the ladder into Billy's room. With his
mother's permission, they hugged him and held him and told him how much they
loved him. With his dying breath, Billy looked up at the fire chief and said,
"Chief, am I really a fireman now?" "Billy, you are." the chief said. With
those words, Billy smiled and closed his eyes one last time. Many people will
walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in
your heart. To handle yourself, use your head; To handle others, use your
heart. Anger is only one letter short of danger. Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people He who loses money,
loses much; He who loses a friend, loses much more; He who loses faith, loses
all. Friends, you and me.. You brought another friend... and then there were
three... We started our group... Our circle of friends... And like that
circle... There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a
mystery. Today is a gift. Send this to everyone you consider FRIEND.<<

THE LITTLEST PIANO TUNER

The mother stared helplessly at her precious little boy. You see, he had
Diphaloosas of the Ugag and it was terminal. "What would you like to be when
you grow up, Billy?" Mom asked through tearing eyes. "I want to be a piano
tuner!" Billy beamed. As shocked as mom was, she called a local piano dealer
to see if she could find a piano tuner. Luck would have it that sixteen
tuners were hanging out, drinking coffee and trading war stories about having
to tune Baldwins. Mom told one of them how Billy was dying and how he dreamed
of being a piano tuner. "Could one of you come over to see my son?" "It would
mean so much to him." "Sure," said the piano tuner, "but thats not all!" "All
sixteen of us are coming over and guess what else?" "We are going to bring
Billy a whole set of tuning tools. Not toys, but the real thing! Except kid
size! We live right next to Schaff Piano Supply so we can get them made up
today!" Mom was choked up. What swell guys these piano tuners are! Soon they
were at Billy's house with a ladder and they all came through the bedroom
window. Billy was overcome with joy. "Wow! Real piano tuners!" "And thats not
all Billy" one of the tuners exclaimed, "Van Cliburn is performing in town
tonight and you are going to tune the piano all by yourself!" This was just a
little more than Billy could handle. He took one last breath and was gone.

This story is true, just light the firefighter story. Honest!

Dave Bunch