Bass bridge question

Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:33:30 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kristinn Leifsson" <istuner@islandia.is>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 24, 2001 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: Bass bridge question

> Hi Tony,
>
> Since it started oscillating and moving air.
>
> Best regards
>
> Kristinn

No, Kristinn, as I have been saying and writing for well over 25 years in
the various classes I've given and articles I've written on piano
soundboards and piano acoustics: In spite of what several manufacturers
marketing departments would have us believe, the piano soundboard is not an
amplifier. It is a transducer. It changes the wave energy in the strings
into acoustical, or sound, energy.

No, Tony, we don't want the soundboard to oscillate. It does, of course, but
we don't want it to and we try to keep it from doing so. At least we should
be.

Del