Bridge Recap Time

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:32:56 -0500

At 08:50 PM 01/24/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>At 07:38 PM 1/24/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >Chalk this up to experience, next time try installing a cap and then tell
> >us which you prefer.
> >
> >I would have gone with a new cap.  In the archives are the details of this
> >procedure.
> >
>On a little spinet????????

Sure,
Once you have your basic router base template mind-set about you, another
sacrificed
piece of scrap plywood serves the cause. Sufficient masking eliminates the
debris.

Mind you, most of my templates are for other makes of bass bridge
curvatures but a
simple item like this... the biggest problem would be saw-dust containment.

EEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Once routed to the desired depth, the old pin holes and cracks/splits can
be filled in
with epoxy and the new cap placed right on top.  What could be easier? Same
profiling required.

Let it set, draw your lines, drill the holes, install *new* pins (check the
bulge at the camfer -
or whatver-it-is,  - thanks to Ron Overs and Roger Jolly)   Maybe that is
why pins are slightly
loose at the top...causing . . . variable osilations.

"Tapered Pins_Are_Tighter"

You heard it here first...

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician