Voicing New Hamburg Steinway Hammers

Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:24:59 +0100

Stienway Hamburg uses the classic traditional tried and true age old
we've been doing it this way for the last 800 years so dont even think
about questioning it as God himself wrote this proceedure down in stone
method of voicing hammers.

If you are good at needling new hammers out of the box you will do fine.
In a nutshell tho... pre-needling.... you are to use a combination of
needling and feeling the "spring" you create by pinching the shoulders
with your fore finger and thumb. You are after a certain "feel" of
springiness. Needled area will puff a bit... filed away later. Some guys
use a kind of  wood sounding bar  to tap the hammer on... they are after
a certain sound and bounce... but I havent seen this but on a couple of
occasions and dont really know much about it.

Basic needling techniques involved here.