Sun-bleached tail/ insurance

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:58:47 +0000

Greg Newell wrote:

> How can this possibly be an insurance claim? And we wonder why everything costs so
> much.
>
> Greg

You're right, this really isn't an insurance claim.  But it reminded me of one
incident I did encounter.  An old, well worn, S&S M with an alligatored finish was
stored by a moving company on its' side on cardboard on a concrete floor.  Moisture
leached through  the cardboard and caused some mildew stains.  The owner was looking
for a free new finish and a free rebuild, claiming the tone had gone dead.  I
couldn't be certain whether some small soundboard cracks were pre-existing conditions
or not, but given the pianos' age, they were typical. I found no soundboard
separation, delaminating veneer, or other separations in the bass rim area.  I
personally felt that the tone loss was due to the hammer grooves being out of line
with the strings because the shanks warped slightly bassward as the piano was on its'
side so long. The owner wasn't real happy with my opinion.   I avoided the situation
some, recommended they get other opinions, so I don't know how the claim was
settled.  When people move and store their pianos, they need to have a technician
evaluation of the condition before doing so.
-Mike