Key Leveling

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:22:44 -0800

Terry,

I abandoned the Jaras jig mostly because of uneven keybeds. A long stick
is a true measure of levelness and it's also a great help in squaring up
the keys.

I use Carl Meyer's key leveling system (you still making them, Carl?).
It consists of a steel rule, without the markings, fastened to a block
at each end which keep the rule standing on edge. The blocks also serve
to raise the rule up 1/2", if you change it end for end, so that you can
level the sharps. For measuring dip, there is a small, wedge-shaped
piece marked in 10/1000" increments. You depress the key and slide in
the wedge until it stops and the markings show how much you need to add
or subtract.

To estimate how much to add at the balance rail, I lay out an assortment
of front rail punchings and try various singles and multiples to get a
slip fit between the keytop and the rule. Since there is about a 2:1
relationship between what is measured at the front pin and what is
changed at the balance rail, I divide the measured gap by two, write
this amount on the key stick and continue measuring the whole set of
white keys. I then turn the rule over and do the black keys. Now the
rule can be removed to install the punchings.

Tom Cole