inharmonicity

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:46:23 EST

In a message dated 1/27/01 10:34:12 AM Central Standard Time, mstore@nic.fi
(Martin Store) writes:

> what do this inharmonicity reading say to you experts?
>
> C#4  0.00  2.48  4.47  6.77 10.04 13.73 18.66 23.51 35.20
>
> i measured it with tunelab the other day...
> is it ok?

It is on the high side but to me, that is an advantage.  The higher the
inharmonicity, the more the octaves may be stretched without creating a
dissonance in doing so.  Artful stretching of the octaves allows some of the
Pythagorean Comma, the reason why the scale must be tempered, to be absorbed.
 This means that your tuning can sound clearer, more appealing and avoid to a
large degree that inevitable "slightly off" sound.

Don't regard it as a problem, it's a solution.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin