Basic SAT III (& VTD) Questions

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:01:39 -0500

Comments interspersed below in original post:

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "joegum" <joegum@webtv.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2001 10:07 PM
Subject: Basic SAT III (& VTD) Questions

> Hi.  I had the opportunity this afternoon to experiment with an SAT =
III
> at a friend's home.  (My first experience with a VTD... II was trained
> years ago as an aural tuner.) I was led through the F-A-C procedure, =
set
> the temperament                              by device and tuned the
> strip-muted middle register.  (The piano wasn't significantly out of
> tune and very close to pitch.)  However, when I checked the octaves,
> they were beating quite noticeably (one to two BPS).  Is this normal?

On a well scaled piano with good FAC numbers (especially the "A" value), =
the SAT calculates 1/4 to 1/2 bps for all double octaves (without =
adjustment to the Double Octave Beat (DOB) feature). Dr. Sanderson =
designed the SAT this way as he felt this was a "typical" or average =
preference for tuners. So, on a nice Yamaha C7, NO this is not normal - =
on a rusty/crusty 1943 Betsy Ross spinet, it may not be too far from =
that expected.......but you can change it to suit your preferences!

Understand that the FAC values (and let's just talk about the A for now) =
represent an inharmonicity value for that region of the stringing scale. =
If you have unrepresentative values (i.e., "bad" numbers), the =
calculated tuning may not fit the piano well. The "A" value is the most =
critical of the three by far. Dr. Sanderson and his son Paul do a class =
at the conventions where they go into much detail demonstrating this. I =
always measure all three strings of A4 when getting my "A" value (unless =
its a crudiano and I get a number that looks OK). If they do not seem =
"good" (either way off from that expected or light pattern was jumping =
all about) I will also measure the "A" value on several other nearby =
strings (within a couple of notes away - next door first). Again, A4 may =
not be a good representative note. It may be that the piano is poorly =
scaled and A4 is the last string of a particular size wire that ideally =
would have otherwise been a different size - that can certainly throw =
off an "A" value.=20

Anyway, get the most representative FAC numbers you can (time and =
experience will tell you what is reasonable). My experience is that with =
"good" FAC numbers on a good piano, the calculated tuning is right-on. =
BUT, if for whatever reason you don't like what you hear (you have =
different tuning preferences, you have bad FAC #s, a bad piano, or its =
just a bad day - poor planetary alignment, etc.) just adjust the stretch =
with the DOB and you have equal temperament with YOUR ideal stretch =
amount (scrunch it or expand it). That is what the DOB is for. And you =
can change it in any region of the scale to your preferences. You may =
find that you ALWAYS like more stretch than the standard SAT calculation =
provides - you may want to start adding 0.5 (or whatever) to your "A" =
and "C" values when initially entering FAC numbers because you have =
found that this will calculate a tuning more close to YOUR preferences =
(you will learn to customize your initial tuning to your liking - I like =
the standard approach and do not generally change the FAC numbers).

This is presicely why "machine-only" tooners can - and often do - do =
poor work. Your ears MUST dictate what you are doing. The advantage of =
the SAT is that once you verify that your calculated tuning is to your =
liking (by doing a few octaves and other intervals - whatever makes you =
comfy and happy) you can then follow the machine and produce a very fine =
tuning without ear strain (unisons excluded, of course - although on =
rough pianos, the top several notes on my tunings often have unisons set =
by machine!).

> Is it now in some circles considered acceptable for octaves to be
> stretched this much?

You tell the machine exactly how much to stretch the octaves. Don't let =
the machine tell you what is or is not acceptable. It's name is SAT, not =
Hal.

> When you use a VTD in noisy conditions, how can
> you have faith in what it's telling you without the benefit of aural
> verification?

Boy, this is one I have red hot advice on........Yesterday I was tuning =
at a festival concert.......(see my other posts on 1st concert tuning)

First of all, you ALWAYS WANT aural verification. I was able to do that =
yesterday at the beginning of my work. I did my FAC (even on this =
Yamaha, the three "A" values were (I think) 7.3, 7.8, and 8.4. I =
certainly like (and expected) them to be closer together (like within =
one or two tenths), but time was critical so I used 7.8. Muted off all =
the "A"s, tuned them to the machine. Listened to octaves and double =
octaves. Everything sounded right-on. This combined with having tuned =
many similar Yamahas with excellent results, made me feel totally comfy =
knowing that as long as I can "stop the lights", keep the pitch there, =
and tune good unisons, we would have an excellent tuning - even if I =
never was able to do any tests after-the-fact (which I did not have the =
opportunity to do). If you are unsure that you have good numbers, or you =
don't have a good piano and you don't get to listen to your tuning tests =
- the SAT may well calculate a "bad" tuning. It only does what you tell =
it to do.

BUT, I will go one step further. If I were tuning a Yamaha C7 in real =
nice shape, got three "A" values that were real close to one another, =
all FAC values were within the range of what you would expect, I would =
feel comfortable tuning that piano with the machine and not ever being =
able to test the tuning (keep in mind, if there is THAT much noise - no =
one else will be able to tell if it is out of tune!). But the thing is =
of course, if you can tune the unisons by ear, you should be able to at =
least listen to a few octaves to get a basic feel of whether the =
calculated tuning will work. I will also say that I have never tuned a =
piano in the manner just described - but if I had to, I think I could.

>  If the stretch is adjustable, can the stretch be reliably
> individualized for each instrument without aural verification?=20

NO!  You must listen to the calculated tuning, and adjust the stretch so =
that your ears and tuning preferences are satisfied. The ONLY way to use =
the DOB (properly) is to listen and adjust. The only reason to use the =
DOB is because your ears have told you that the calculated tuning is not =
what you like. The machine MUST be manipulated so that it reflects what =
YOU like. NEVER assume the machine knows something you don't. It can =
take three numbers and calculate a tuning with amazing results. BUT. The =
SAT is like an automobile. YOU MUST drive it. If you let go of the wheel =
you are dead. BUT the automobile sure does make getting there easier, =
doesn't it?

> Thanks
> for letting me pop back onto the list and ask these questions.  -Joe
> Gumbosky                      =20
>=20
You are welcome. Hollar back with any questions! Good luck!