John Hartman... filling bridge pin holes (new thread)

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:22:46 -0500

Hi John,

I'm curious about something.  There have been a couple of posts that
mentioned filling the old bridge pin holes in the old bridge body.  I'm
curious as to what you use?

In the past, I've filled them with Titebond and shoe pegs and recapped over
top with a bridge cap much like what I've seen you do.  The only complaint
I've had with doing that has been that sometimes when I drill the new bridge
pin holes, the drill bit will want to "gum up" (I'm guessing) with the
Titebond glue.

Should I be using larger shoe pegs?  eliminating the glue and just using
shoe pegs? (don't feel comfortable with this one, but it was suggested to me
one time), maybe gluing in small hardwood dowels of some sort?  forgetting
about the wood altogether and just filling in with epoxy?   Something else
entirely?  Any particular method you found you like?

It's certainly nothing earth shattering, but I am curious.

(Also, as an aside, would you feel better about the kind of 'surgery' that
Ron Overs is doing if done with a finger joint <instead of a butt joint>
where the old body joins the new very thick bridge cap?  Just a thought...)

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net