Key Leveling... Hey Berley...

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 23:26:24 -0700

At 09:23 AM 1/28/2001 -0500, Brian wrote:

>Here's a question for the 'crowners'...  How much of a crown do you like?

The Steinway tool, part # 006858, has a 1/32" crown at the centre. I have
no idea what that is in radius. It used to sell for about $35 and is the
most accurate way I've found of getting a Steinway keyboard properly
crowned. It's important to have the keyframe properly bedded and the ends
of the frame securely clamped (or the cheeks screwed in) before leveling.

The question was asked about why there is crown in a Steinway keyboard at
all.  I have heard all the following and I'm sure others could add more:

A) The key bed and keyframe are also slightly crowned.
B) A slight curve is more esthetically pleasing than a straight line.
C) The keyboard will settle in the middle and become straight rather than sag.
D) The hands naturally follow an arc.
E) Steinway can sell a special tool that makes the piano different to service.
F) That's the way it was designed so just do it that way.

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
email: john@musselwhite.com    http://www.mp3.com/fatbottom