Piano Firing Missiles at Church Congregation

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:24:49 EST

WOW!

Thanks for all the replies, folks.  It's nice to know how willing people are
to help with ideas and opinions.  I know I may come off at times like a "Mr.
know-it-all" but really, I only have superficial knowledge and experience
with such things as manufacturing concerns, scale design, etc.  However, I
have been around for quite a while and have heard and seen a lot.

One thing I noticed early on in my career as a piano technician was that you
can often expect contradictory opinions on virtually any subject.  A couple
of things that were new to me and which I had not considered were counter
bearing angles and agraffe damage.  Also, the use of the damper pedal as a
factor in string breakage was something I had not really heard of before.

It seems obvious to me that simply weaving some extra and tighter string
braid would keep strings from flying out.  Some of the suggestions about
other ways to restrain the strings seemed a bit surprising.  I had always
thought of string braid as being principally a mute but I can see that it
could also prevent shooting strings.

I agree that the story is comical, at least at first thought but if someone
were to be injured, it could quickly turn to a grim scenario.  Another factor
that I did not bring up was that I tried the best I could to get this church
*not* to buy a piano from the particular dealer in question.  My opinion of
Young Chang pianos completely aside, the reputation of the dealer as being
the worst of the worst has a lot to do with whether buying any instrument at
all from that source would be advisable.

When I visited the dealer I usually do work for, I told him of the problem
just in case the church decides to trade the piano in.  This problem should
definitely be known.  I can see that if the church does buy a new piano, it
should be specially prepared in order to minimize the possibility of the
problem occurring in a completely different instrument.  Still, the image of
a piano coming from *that* dealer now firing scuds at the congregation is
really funny.  They got their "good deal" and now they're paying the price
for it.

I have not contacted Young Chang yet, I haven't been asked to do so.  The
young lady pianist says she wants to talk to the pastor and the dealer.  She
doesn't buy my explanation.  She thinks I "tightened the strings too much".
She said she saw me working once and it looked to her that I was "tightening
everything really hard".

They also haven't paid the bill for the tuning that I did now 30 days ago
even though they had always been prompt before, sometimes even paying when I
completed the job that day.  When I left the bill on the desk, I saw my last
invoice sitting there marked, "Hold until next bill."  Now, there is also a
bill for replacing two more strings and another string is on order.
Yesterday having been Sunday, I can fully imagine that the other string of
the unison that just broke will have broken too.  I did tell the girl that it
was likely.  She asked why and I again explained to her that it is the way
the piano is played and her reply was that she had a hard time accepting that.

So, that is where it stands now.  If they call someone else, I may not be
troubled by the problem anymore but I can also see that I may be the one whom
everyone blames for the problem.  The dealer is certainly capable of that.
That *unequal* temperament I tune caused the problem, he might say and you
can be sure that it will be believed.

I'll let you all know what transpires.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin