uprights: Schlz-Pllmn, M&H, Petrof, Essex...

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:07:36 -0500 (EST)

> Kristinn Leifsson <istuner@islandia.is> wrote:
>
> I´ve never seen a piano from Italy other than Fazioli (anyone?), and
> they´re only making grands.  They´re more expensive than Steinways, sooo...

The Schulze Pollmann is actually made in Italy. However, the company was
started by two German piano makers who came to Italy in the 1920's. They
were just recently (in the last few years) imported to the US. So, the
sales pitch is that you get a German piano, with a stylish Italian cabinet
(and it really IS nice!), but it doesn't cost as much (in the US) as a
German piano because of the exchange rate. It's that last part that I
don't know much about: the exchange rate for different European countries.

Anyway, the Schulze-Pollmann has a Renner action, Ciresa (Italian)
soundboard, and a Delignit pinblock.

I should make it clear that my main purpose for bringing it up on the list
discuss some of the technical aspects of some interesting pianos that I
looked at. While I am ultimately shopping (at a slow rate), I don't expect
the PTG to help me shop for a piano. Just wanted to clarify that.

Charles