Virgin Kimball Player Service Call

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 19:08:11 -0500

Today I had the unique experience of tuning  and repairing (or at least =
attempting to) and Kimball spinet player. When I went to take the =
kneeboard off, I had to remove a block of wood that was stapled beneath =
the keybed blocking the spring that holds the kneeboard in place. It =
would appear that the kneeboard had not been removed since the piano was =
manufactured in 1971. I asked the lady when it was last tuned. She said =
she bought it in 1971 and had never tuned it because it didn't need it. =
This was THE MOST OUT-OF-TUNE  piano I have ever heard!  WOW! A 250-cent =
pitch raise and a Vallotti/Fairchild tuning made it sound like......er, =
a......little Kimball - but in tune! Couldn't get the player to work =
though, not enough vacuum being produced apparently (this is actually =
the reason she called a piano technician in the first place - not =
because it was out of tune). Gonna have to get a pro in to look at it.

How in the world can someone buy a piano and not have it tuned for 30 =
years? Absolutely amazing. I'm glad she called me. It was profitable =
(but only appropriately so)! She's happy. I'm happy!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com