Last Hurrah?/ broken strings

Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:06:27 -0600

At 07:36 01/31/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Who did you direct this message to? I'll answer anyway! Comments
>interspersed below:
>
> > What body of water are you on?
>
>Tampa Bay/Gulf of Mexico, about 250 miles N of Key West - for the last 11
>years.
>
> >  I'm on Lake Michigan out of
> > Chicago.
>
>Prior to that, Lake St. Clair outside of Detroit. Used to sail up through
>the North Channel of Lake Huron most summers. I miss it.

Lake, schmake, you haven't lived until you've sailed a 10' Cape Dory (i.e.
glorified rowboat) in the Delaware River, just down from
Philadelphia.  Dodging freighters and tankers in an open boat with low
freeboard and bucket bailing is nothing but fun!!  One hand on the tiller
and the other on the sheet with occasional visits to a sandbar to jump out
and bail. (usually by Little Tinicum Island [obligatory piano content -
Lester, former home of that famous piano mfgr, is in Tinicum Township])

Oh, and having to lower sail _and_ mast and ROW under a railroad drawbridge
back to the ramp... grrrr...

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu

Anything in parentheses can(not) be ignored.