Ronsen hammers: was Chickering rebuild -- touchweight.

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 11:03:28 EST

David:
Ditto. I have always used SW hammers on SW, and after shaping, working on the
shoulders of all of the hammers with lacquer. But the first shaping makes a
huge difference before any chemicals. The quality of tone generation I get
with that shaping pretty much tells me how much and where to concentrate my
efforts. With SW, I have found that I need at least two passes with 4:1 to
get close to where I want to be. From there it's spot application, sometimes
groups; then evening everything out. I always go back over the hammer tops
with very fine paper to get rid of the felt raised by the lacquer
application. Also, for attack, I apply a couple of drops of acetone (actually
the solution from Pianotek works just fine) directly on the strike point,
then shallow needle for evenness. Thanks for your responses.
Paul