Chickering rebuild -- touchweight.

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:24:28 -0800

Hi Brian
  I believe there might be one major step and oversight that I ,Yourself and
many others  have made at the beginning of any chickering action rebuild And
that is to weigh the original hammers and get over the shock of how
incredibly light they are.  And then after checking your gram scale a time
or two for accuuacy it is realized it was right .  The hmmrs. had to be
light for the leverages that were chosen and when the're set up as designed
they work well and if not well you're expieriencing that tooo heavy feel .
If you can't get the hammer wt. down a slight change in the knuckle
placement will get you there but will change the reg. requirements slightly.
I have used the ronsen 14 lb. saepele molding and taperes as Newton
suggested from strike pt. to tail  and also recove or cove to reduce wt.
further.
       Your current options are as stated ( reducing wt.if possible) or
starting over uugghhh
       Good Luck   Dale Erwin