Fw: Fw: Plate Finish, Shellac as sealer caution

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 07:29:53 -0700

  Roger thanks

   One thing that is important when applying other  products with =
dissimilar solvent bases over shellac is that since there is no similar =
solvent to bite and bond to the shellac it must be sanded so that there =
is a tooth for a good mechanical bond.  When I used to put varnish over =
my shellac base on my boards I would allow to dry thoroughly(24 hrs.) =
then sand lightly.

     Another great feature of shellac is that it seems as though it case =
hardens the surface of wood.  This would have obvious tonal benefits as =
well as strength.
  I always coat my bridge notches with it before the lacquer.  That's =
one place I don't sand but have not had a failure Hmmmm.

      Good Day

   Dale Erwin

----- Original Message -----=20