String or Hammer ?

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 11:48:30 EDT

>  Lower the string
>  about a fifth and beat beat beat about 10 times and raise back to the level
>  of the other string of the unison....

But as in all work, advise the customer of ALL the possibilities first so you
don't wind up putting in a free string for an angry customer. I gently let
them know WHY the string sounds as it does - that the corrosion is a factor
of time and atmospheric conditions, and that the real solution is to replace
all the bass strings, and maybe the treble as well. Then I offer other
possibilities and their downsides, including the small risk of breakage with
the above method, and the fact that a single new string will stick out
tonally. This is not to discourage, but to put into perspective.

Not only is the risk now shifted to the customer where it belongs, they see
that I am looking out for them. Often they realize the real nature of what
they are asking, and decide to leave well enough alone. If they do decide to
have me go ahead, they realize that I am working in their best interest, and
at least they are more philosophical if something does go awry.

To answer your question more directly, plucking the string will not only
locate the problem, it will graphically illustrate it to the client.

Good luck,
Bob Davis