Piano Value Appreciation

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 14:35:39 EDT

Greetings,
       So,  where are the cold hard facts?  Here  is one example that just
happened, today.
    Customer #1 has tried for two months to sell his two year old Steinway M,
in walnut, in mint condiditon.  He couldn't get more than $23K offered, and
doesn't know quite what to do, as he is inheriting a model C and hasn't room
or need for two.
   Customer #2 wants to sell her ebony1906 model O she purchased from me in
1990 for $18,000,(since her daughters never wanted to play and she doesn't).
The piano has a totally new action, pin-block, and stringing.  The board is
in beautiful shape and has a LOT of sound, everywhere.
   Customer #3 called yesterday, said he had $24 to spend, and wanted a
Steinway grand that would hold its value.  He looked at both, and will buy
the model O on Monday for $24,000.
   I don't think any of the new pianos will bring 20% more than their
purchase price after 11 years.  When buyers begin talking about investment
potential,  the new pianos are NOT the way to go.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT