Fw: shellac sealer on plate yes yes yesYES

Sun, 8 Jul 2001 08:03:45 -0400

David -

It sounds to me like you were using some shellac that was past its shelf
life.  I have never heard of it "letting go" of any surface that was
reasonably clean, nor have I EVER heard of lacquer having any
compatibility problems with shellac whatsoever.  However, when shellac
gets old it will never set up, remain kind of rubbery, and crinkle
easily, and I could see it possibly shedding a top coat placed on it.

Finishers have been putting lacquer on shellac for many decades.  I did
on a regular basis back in my nitrocellulose days with never a hint of a
problem.  Also, I have been putting it under lacquer on plates, both in
the clear form and with powder suspended in it, for over 20 years and
never had the experience you did.  I continue to service many of these
instruments and would know if there was a delamination.

I will ask the refinisher's forum I subscribe to if they may be able to
shed some light on your problem.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com