Relax about wax

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 09:42:39 -0400

"While earwax is often cited by patients as the source of hearing =
problems it almost never is an actual cause of substantial loss."

Oh, gosh. I was hoping I could avoid dumping all the gory details on you =
guys, but here goes. Anyone with a weak stomach, please hit the delete =
button.

Once or twice a year, in the summer time, wax will build up in my ear =
until my hearing is significantly reduced. Suddenly over a week or two I =
will start frieking because it is clear that my hearing is failing. I =
have been using the ear drops (acid? hydrogen peroxide?) available at =
the drug store for ear wax removal. Put a few drops in, let if fizz for =
a few minutes and then flush with warm water with the provided ear =
rubber syringe/bulb. (No doubt there was wax in there.) After treatment, =
I feel like Eddy Murphy: "I can hear, I can hear!" Yes, in my case at =
least, ear wax can build up to the point that hearing is impaired. =
Clearly I must clean it out once or twice a year. That is why I am =
inquiring about the safest way to do it.

The method I have used works, although it requires rather vigorous =
flushing with very warm water. I realize the ear drum is a very thin =
membrane. This I why I am concerned about this method. I fear that the =
flushing is vigorous enough that it could damage the ear drum - and no =
one is going to talk me into "shaking my head violently" either! I need =
my brain to tune also!

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20