New and improved Steinway parts.BUT not the hammers!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 07:20:20 -0400

I went to an Arlington class by Nick Gravagne about how wonerful the new =
S&S hammers are (and other parts). If I am understanding your post =
correctly, the soggy hammers you refer to are the original hammers off a =
S&S built at least 6 years ago? So this may not be representative of the =
"new and improved" S&S hammers. The ones we used in class were real nice =
right out of the box with just a little shaping, etc. He even advocated =
trying them with any juicing to see how you like 'em. They are indeed =
real mellow before juicing - but within the realm of a real piano hammer =
- definately within the range for those that like that real soft, dark, =
mellow sound.

Grappling with Square-One in Piano Hammer Technology
Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinpiano=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 11:13 PM
  Subject: Fw: New and improved Steinway parts.BUT not the hammers!

  Hi Rodger

    I forgot to tell you that at this point in time I do not use the =
Stwy hammers.  Yeah I know many who do.  Resilient felt is one thing and =
flabby is another and I just plain like to know what I'm getting.  I =
just changed off a set that came with a 6 ish yr.old model L"The =
Immortal series" turn of the century  style case.  Nice board no =
tone.Soggy hammers. I could push them all over the molding with my =
thumb. Just my humble opinion and preference but I've had trouble with =
hammers I had to douse  with 2 to1 or 3 to 1 lacquer to make tone. Often =
by the  time the hammers start to speak it's hard or Impossible to get =
needles in.
    However I would use factory hammers if they were better but to my =
knowledge the presses and procedures are still the same.

       Enough said. Flame suit at the ready.
      Dale Erwin
    =20

  ----- Original Message -----=20