restringing bass

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 23:31:39 -0400

In a message dated 7/13/01 9:57:36 PM Central Daylight Time,
pianolover88@hotmail.com writes:

>I've left the original strings on so as not to overstress the 87
>year old+ full upright,
>as i thought it would be safer to take off old, replace with new as i go.

Don't worry. By removing the bass strings, you're lowering the
overall load, and certainly not unbalancing it. Now if you were to
clear out the mid- treble section, lower the pitch of the top section
by 100¢ and raise the pitch of the middle section by 100¢, that would
be an unbalanced load.

>But even at only 10 minutes per string (old off-new on) it's gonna
>take over EIGHT HOURS!!!
>So i'm thinking maybe I should refer it to another tech who has done
>lots of this
>type stuff before. Thoughts?

Just do it. Set up and tear-down should be 2/3 hours, the actual
string swap (through final tuning should take 2-1/2 hours). You'll be
glad not to worry so needlessly anymore.

At 11:08 PM -0400 7/13/01, Wimblees@AOL.COM wrote
>It will help if you can tip the piano on it's back on a tilter.

Of course, with the action out, and the keyboard off the keyframe.
(And if you're going to restring the entire thing, the keybed comes
out too.)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"All God's Children got Rythm"
     ...........Ivy Anderson in "A Day at the Races"