a basis for equality

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:52:55 EDT

Greetings,
     I didn't mean to have mislead any with that subject line, (what,
Foote=equality? or maybe, F==)?  What follows is a posting by Dr. Kellner on
the logic for his derivation of a tuning.  The particular tuning is what Dr.
Kellner states was the tuning that Bach authored. There is much to be said
for the Dr.'s research, and I think we could all find a bit of perspective
with it.
    In a meantone nutshell, (which I sometimes find myself overly acquainted
with!), his premise if that the third may profitably be enlarged in the
triad, since the fifths are already beating. The limit he proposes is the
speed of the fifth, and arrives at the 1/5 comma meantone tuning as a result.

   I hope this may be of interest to some, and I plan on writing a post inre
the convention as soon as I have time to sort my impressions out.  The Overs
piano was VERY impressive.
     We had a good time using the Disklavier in the temperament class, also.
 Dan Levitan and I ended up cross tuning that piano on a daily basis for our
different classes, so my lecture was accompanied by my forty minute tuning
that not only had to change the temperament, but also had to corral all of
the demonstration pitches left from Dan's comparisons.
     I think it went ok,  but don't know that all my unisons were "studio"
quality.    This was an interesting test of the SAT III, as I pulled up a
straight FAC for a Yamaha C3 and dumped Jim Coleman's number 11 on it as a
template.  I would be grateful for any critique of the result, since being in
"convention mode" makes listening to everything a fuzzy blur).
    One thing that is not fuzzy is that Laura did a beautiful job of leading
us through a mountain of education, she is to be commended for a great job.
Regards,
Ed Foote, RPT
   Now, on to equality:

_____