Institute Committees Attitudes

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 05:49:08 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/01 4:32:16 AM Central Daylight Time, A440A@AOL.COM
Ed Foote writes:

>      I only had forty minutes, but that is enough time, (I think) to
> properly
> tune a piano with a good machine and some hammer technique. No, it isn't a
> comfortable tuning speed, but  I think a professional should be able to
> handle it.  If not,this is a good time to subject the result to a peer
> critique.  If it sounded mediocre to any list members that heard it,  I
> certainly would want to know.  Even if it just sounded rough in places, I

Well, Ed, my usual time spent tuning a typical piano in someone's home is
30-45 minutes.  With that being typical, I can easily tune 1000 or more
pianos a year and earn a real good living doing so.

Right now, I'm involved with the production of a musical and have had to work
in time segments of just about what you had, 40 minutes to change pitch,
repin a jack flange, align, file, voice and regulate an entire piano.  I
paced and timed myself each time I worked and was always done 5 minutes
before rehearsal started and have one last tuning to do tomorrow.  I'll have
about the same amount of time at the theater to tune the vocal warm up piano
too.

I certainly know how to work under pressure and time constraints as any
professional piano technician must.  But I am simply not going to present the
EBVT with tempered octaves in 45 minutes and with Wally Brooks standing there
harassing me about it, telling me that I look like a beginner trying to learn
how to tune.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin