Journal CD's

Phillip L Ford fordpiano@lycos.com
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:10:58 0000

Ed,
Sorry you're having trouble with the CDs.  I'm finding mine to be a great
resource.  I think they are very well laid out and fairly easy to navigate,
but perhaps that's because I am already somewhat familiar with Adobe
Acrobat.  First open up the index in Adobe (there are a few ways to do this,
but since you said you were looking at the index I assume you can get
to this point).  To do the search that you were talking about
do a search (as opposed to a find).  To do a search you can:

1.  Select the search icon (on the tool bar across the top of the
Adobe window there is a binocular & piece of paper icon).
OR
2. Select the edit menu (on the menu bar across the top of the Adobe
window), then in the edit menu select search, which will cause a submenu
to pop up at which point you select query.
OR
3.  Select the Search icon on the bookmarks portion of the screen
(along the left side of the Adobe window).
OR
4.  Hit Ctrl + Shift + F at the same time. (This works on Windows, not sure
on MAC).

Once you do one of these things a Search window (dialogue box) should
open.  Here is where you type in the item you're looking for (such as
damper).  Note - across the bottom of the window there should be a line
saying something like Searching in the Piano Journals 19xx - 19xx.  If it
says no index selected or something of that sort then you need to click
on the indexes button and select an index to use for the search.

Click on the search button.  This should give you a list of all journals
on that CD that contain the search term (such as damper).  You then
should be able to click on the particular journal that you want and hit
the view button and Adobe will take you to that Journal.  You can then
use Find to locate terms (such as damper) within that Journal.  Find can
be selected in the same way as Search either from the Edit menu or using
the icon from the top tool bar (the binocular icon).

To browse among the Journals you can select from one of the indexes
that appear in the bookmarks window along the left of the screen.

I hope this helps.

Phil

---
Phillip Ford
Piano Service & Restoration
1777 Yosemite Ave
San Francisco, CA  94124

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:15:08
 Ed Carwithen wrote:
>Hi Guys:
>
>  OK, I bought the "20 years of the Journal" at Reno convention.  So far, I'm not impressed.  I put in the "New Acrobat Reader 5" CD, and that went ok.  Then I put in Disk 1 of the journal.  Horrible grinding noise.  A menu page of the journal came up, but grinding noise scared me.  Put in disk 2.  Grinding, but at very low level.
>
>Tried a couple of other CD's in the drive.  They work ok.
>
>Went back to disk 2.  Looks like each copy of journal is listed.  I don't really want to read every copy.  I tried the search button.  I typed in "dampers."  Nothing.  It seemed to be asking for a document or something.  I thought the CD was the document.  Soooo ...
>
>No directions of course.
>
>Is there someone out there who has directions for using this "wonderful" tool?
>
>AAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
>
>Ed Carwithen
>John Day

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!