Put a lid on it: was Re: Chicago convention...

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:30:10 EDT

<< It needs to be the International
>Convention,  to be inclusive.   This is just common sense. >>

Years ago when I was doing work study at FSU and working at the Local "Family
YMCA" there was a brilliant heart surgeon among the "family" members. His
name doesn't make a difference but what he said on one occasion does.
 He was elected to the Board of Directors and on assuming office at the
"Annual  Young Mens Christian Association (YMCA) Banquet" he made the
following, paraphrased, remarks:

 (")I am indeed honored to have been selected to a position of leadership in
this tremendous gathering of souls and to have this association with each of
you.
  We must, however, stop and reflect a moment on just what and who we are.
Though we call ourselves the "Young Mens Christian Association" we are
neither "Young"..our average age in this room is 34. Nor are we all "Men" as
over half of our membership is female...our wives and daughters. Nor are we
"Christian" as I am of the Jewish faith and we have members of many faiths
besides "Christian". We are however an "Association". As fellow members of
the "Association" it is what we do and what we say that matters and not the
name which only vaguely reflects the whole. (")

 His words, or the essence of them, have stayed with me through the years and
I felt that this would be a good time to share them with y'all. PTG calls the
once yearly convention and institute the "Annual" and that is as good as
anything.  It matters not what we call it be it annual, national,
international, world-wide or some other term which some will not agree with
and feel slighted by. What matters to me, and selfishly think should matter
to you is ""it is what we do and what we say that matters and not the name
which only vaguely reflects the whole. (")"

 Tis my wish for y'all that this name thingee is the only disruptive thorn in
your paw.
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)