Wet and Wild Steinway

Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM Yardarm103669107@AOL.COM
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:53:00 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/2001 7:44:15 PM Central Daylight Time, A440A@AOL.COM
writes:

<<       Agreed,  I know from experience that insurance companies don't
question
 Steinway restoration prices.  I like to use them as a baseline for deciding
 what the loss is. Then, if a technician  has a good relationship with a
great
 restoration facility, then it is easy for them to put their reputation on
the
 line for the quality of the finished piano.
         The factory is not infallible, it is not the final, ultimate,
 forever-ever-amen facilty to get the most out of an old piano. And with the
 recent prices I saw posted in Reno, it is more expensive than any other
place
 I have seen.  But it is a legitimate standard to arrive at a restoration
 figure.  I dunno, this has worked well for me in the past, others have
better
 angles on complete restoration projects?
 REgards,
 ED Foote RPT

I've been thinking about your comments for a few days, trying to figure out
my discomfort with the concept. I think it boils down to legitimizing
unethical marketing practices. You are aware, as many are, that Steinway in
the past few years has made such claims as "if it isn't rebuilt by a Steinway
technician, it isn't a Steinway", and "Non-Steinway technicians can't get
Steinway parts", and "if all of the parts aren't Steinway, it's not a
Steinway". Variations on these themes have been being bruited about by SW and
by their dealerships for too long now, and I know that there has been some
discussion of this in this forum. I'm not trying trying to restart that
discussion. But to set up Steinway as the be-all and end-all reference source
for value and pricing for restoration, particularly through such an
institutionalized routes as insurance companies, indirectly adds strength and
credence to them and their claims, albeit unintentionally. I'm sure they're
very happy to be considered the "base-line". I, personally, am not so happy
for them to be considered so. There is an inherent conflict between the
conscious restraint of trade marketing stance of Steinway and the PTG's own
set of published ethics. As soon as Steinway begins to have quality again,
instead of just selling itself as having quality, I will have no problem
using them as a baseline. I don't mean to come across to shrilly here, but
I'm starting to have a visceral reaction to Steinway's bending of ethical
practices.
PR-J