Soundboard Problems.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 22:18:03 -0500

>     My question to this esteemed gathering is, shouldn't this have been glued
> at the factory? And yet, I don't see any evidence of any glue having ever
> been applied to this joint.

Yes, it should have. Traditionally, Gremlins, Trolls, Pookas, Tommyknockers,
Elves, Leprechauns, Bogeymen, Spooks, Evil spirits, Wendegos, Woolybuggers,
Sprites, (sundry) Lessor Demons, guys named Lenny, and vague Republican
influences conspire through a highly unlikely but difficult to defend against
set of circumstances to staunch (good word, that) the flow of glue in the
assembly line at a crucial moment in the piano creation process, resulting in a
perimiterous deficiencii condition in the glue application portion of the
program as it applies to the soundboard perimeter. More simply put, they
screwed up and didn't get the sucker glued in properly. Fortunately, the
automatic honking, buzzing, rasping, rattling, utterly annoying loose
soundboard noise is pretty much automatically activated as a result of this
collective action/omission, to alert the presumably nominally alert technician
to the condition so that he/she can arrange to apply the appropriate Pooka Bane
(Titebond) to the adhesively challenged area as a corrective measure. This,
then, would be the recommendation, whether it's done in the shop, or on site.
Personally, I've found that inverting a piano onto it's lid on site, as an
expedient to gluing the upper portion of the soundboard to it's liner, is an
exemplary attention getter, and pretty much eliminates any further discussion
as to the cost of the procedure. Scares the Hell out of them, and makes it
easier on you in the long run. You win twice, and become somewhat of an icon in
he process. Just another little tip from your Uncle Wookie. Hint - underplay it
somewhat for maximum effect. No sense blowing your cover.

>     The reason I'm asking is that I'm not a rebuilder, but I know that on a
> grand the SB is glued to the inner rim. Not on this upright.
>     This should be an easy one, just tell me if I made the right call.
> Kevin E. Ramsey, R.P.T.

You did, but you are letting altogether too many opportunities for extended
entertainment get away.

I'm going to expect better of you in the future.

Ron N