Plate Ringing

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 08:21:11 -0400

Kevin,

I've never been able to trace down a ringing sound to a plate.  However, you
might eliminate some possibilities by trying some different troubleshooting.
Get a strip of wood (oh say 3/4" x 3/4") and whatever length is easy to work
with (12"-18") with a strip of thick soft felt glued to one edge.  You press
this strip against a large group of strings and eliminate any leakage that
the dampers are letting through.  This works especially well when a damper
leak is occurring at a sympathetic vibration other than the fundamental (or
when the fundamental of the string is the sympathetic vibration from another
note.

Makes it easy to find these kind of problems and would eliminate problems in
the damper system before you start trying to change any plate resonance.
Personally I would much prefer to make some changes in the dampers than to
the plate...

Hope this helps.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Assistant Director - TEAM2001
July 11-15, 2001 - Reno, NV
agilreath@mindspring.com
http://www.ptg.org/conv.htm
Director: Laura Olsen, RPT
Assistant Directors: Allan Gilreath, RPT - Gary Neie, RPT - Dale Probst, RPT