Finally! I'm Clean

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Sun, 04 Nov 2001 19:17:09 -0600

List,

    Well, it looks like I'm now clean, too. It took a while but I think
I've finally gotten rid of the virus. Boy, did I learn my lesson about
keeping my virus definitions up to date!
    Many thanks to all those who tried to help. Even though in my
computer illiteracy, I was never able to figure out how to do it the
way they suggested, I thank them anyway. Much!
    I ended up doing it another way and even though it might not
have been the "correct" way, it seems to have worked. I've now
downloaded the latest virus definitions and found 76 infected
files, of which only 3 were not repairable. And according to
Elian, one of them was the way the virus itself propagates
itself. These are the files and his comments about them:

IE_PACK.EXE (Not a standard IE file, must have been created by virus )

MTX_.EXE ( File created by virus, this is the actual propagation program)

WIN32.DLL (Original Windows 32bit engine, which was replaced by windows
install. You are right, without it you will not be able to connect to your ISP
either)

    Hope this never happens again! Thanks again.

Avery