FW: Baldwin Piano Auction

LarryinAtlanta@AOL.COM LarryinAtlanta@AOL.COM
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 23:52:37 EST

In a message dated 10/31/01 8:00:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
grandrestorations@yahoo.com writes:

> ...they built really crappy pianos for so many
> years and got such a reputation for building junk
> that during their last few years, when they were
> really trying to build a nice piano, it was too
> late, that the public wouldn't buy them
> anymore...
>
> That's the story I was given, but then again it was given to me by a piano

Actually, the last few years Kimball shipped pianos they weren't even built
by Kimball. They were built on contract by - talk about irony - Baldwin.
Kimball sold all their piano building equipment along with the Conn and
Krakauer brand names to a Chinese piano company named Artfield piano, and
converted the piano factories in Indiana to other uses 2 or 3 years before
they stopped selling pianos.

And as for the salesman - there's an old joke in the business: What's the
difference between a used car salesman and a piano salesman? The used car
salesman *knows* when he's lying.   ;-)

Larry Fletcher
Atlanta Chapter