Old Felt (was Bushing Aging)

robert goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 07:42:00 -0600

Farrell wrote:

> What happens to flange bushings as they age - let's say for 125 years. I
> have not seen this subject addressed previously. Does the felt harden
> commonly?

In my experience felt fibers seem somehow to become very brittle.  I don't
recall the particular issue but I remember a few years back the journal did an
article on felt as viewed through an electron microscope.  You may remember, one
of the pictures was on the cover.  The fibers seem very dependent on little
micro barbs that hook each other together in order to make a single unit of
felt.  With age the barbs break off and the felt turns to dust.

Having been employed at a dealer a number of years ago I was responsible for
prepping all used pianos that came in.  Many times I found when reshaping very
old hammers the felt would come off as dust rather than in layers.  A dust mask
or respirator is a must in these situations.  It is quite an experience
"breathing sheep".

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV